Sunday, September 27, 2009

Rampage

Looking back it had been at least a month since the poor little red dog has gotten any kind of formal training from me. I was away for 2 weeks and the 2 weeks before that I was too busy with work, packing, preparing for my trip that I didn't really have time to do anything with him. And let me tell you that he didn't appreciate it. Since coming back he has already given me a war wound on my finger and strategically placed a dog bed in my path so I would trip over it and sprain my big toe. We had a talk after that one.

Anyway, we're getting back into it now that I'm home and Icon gets to have a break (although he thinks he's being punished, poor guy). Over the last couple of days I've been seeing what he's forgotten and what he's retained. Thankfully he seems to have retained his basic obedience including heelwork/circlework. His stays are good except at doorways at crates (I guess Jay didn't care if he ran outside when he opened the door...) and he still loves his teeter bang game. I also really like how his contact board work is looking, especially considering how long it's been since we've done it! His balancing has totally gone downhill. He could barely stay on the bosu ball!

I haven't gone back to the running dogwalk yet, but I plan on doing that next. I'm curious to see what that looks like. And I really have to get Apollo back training running contacts. I think he missed all of his dogwalks at the USDAA regionals :).

It's hard to believe Rampage is almost 11 months old. Where does the time go??

092709 - Rampage contact board from Agility Dogs on Vimeo.

5 comments:

  1. You should be brave and go all the way, running dogwalk, running aframe (I'm too chicken for a running seesaw so I'll grant you a stop there!). You've got the legs for it...! I'm having a lot of fun with Solar's running contacts, although I'm not in the greatest shape at the moment :) Contacts are typically not our problem!

    Daisy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Solar's running dw is awesome! You guys look great.

    And I AM brave! Just indecisive ;). I'm definitely doing a running a-frame but for the dogwalk my current plan is to have two behaviors, a running as well as a stop. I think the way a lot of courses are nowadays (especially European ones) you are better off time-wise having a fast stopping dogwalk rather than a running.

    I reserve the right to change my mind on any of the above statements though :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rampling looks awesome, Channan. Thanks for the video!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know, Silvia sure seemed to do OK with Bu :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. True, but I ain't no Silvia Trkman! :)

    ReplyDelete