Monday, January 20, 2014

What to do when your governor declares a drought

Well Jerry Brown has declared a drought for California.  Not really big news for those of us living here.  We've been having a beautiful summer all winter.    But what to do when your state is in the most severe drought of the century?

Might as well enjoy the weather since I can't do anything about it...

One positive aspect of the crazy dry weather is that I'm able to keep up with my yard work.  Generally during the winter my yard gets overgrown with grass and weeds.  And my hedges grow faster than I can cut them back.  This year I've managed to keep ahead of the growth but today I made huge strides in trimming back a tree/bush that has needed some TLC for at least a year.  I massacred it (as I tend to do when I prune) but it's more weed than tree so it'll will come back strong.  So long as the drought ends eventually...


I managed to fit every bit of that foliage into my green waste bin except one big branch.  The dogs were pretty impressed with my powers of reduction!


On Sunday a friend and I went for a hike.   It was hot, gnats and ants were out, water levels were low, but Ali'i didn't care!  It's good to be a dog.


Yay, I'm a dog!

Rampage is more concerned about the water levels (Icon is the most concerned and refused to even get his photo with the pond).  

Speaking of low water levels, I hiked with another friend today since I had a day off for MLK.

We had 8 dogs between us (Just 2 were mine!)   You're always a spectacle when hiking with Tammy :)

The hike was fun, but since it was so hot we decided to take the dogs swimming at the Lexington reservoir afterwords.  The water levels were low, SO low.  But what can we do?  Might as well enjoy the reservoir while the levels are high enough to swim in.

Swim, little ones, swim!

 Everyone played fetch in the water with toys or sticks.

Except for Rampage.  Rampage just swam and swam and screeched and trilled.  He loves to swim.



Tricki wanted Tammy to ignore the cute little swimming Staffy and pay attention to HIM.


Icon thought the water was a bit on the dirty side.

Rampage kept on swimming and trilling.  He loves to swim.

Tricki says, "HELLO?? I'm right here!  Pay attention to me!"


And just because...

Foster!


1 comment:

  1. I had to laugh at Rampage. Some things are so genetic. ;-)

    ReplyDelete